Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Sex In The Sticks by Sawyer Bennett REVIEW


Sex in the Sticks (Love Hurts, #1) Goodreads  Amazon  Twitter  Website

Wake up and feel the wood! In the first of a series of irresistible standalone romances from New York Times bestselling author Sawyer Bennett, a city girl rediscovers love and lust in the Alaskan wilderness.
 
Valentine French may be the sassiest dating columnist in New York City, but the abundance of metrosexuals in her adopted metropolis is seriously cramping her style. Where are the beefy all-American boys? Hoping to find some inspiration, Val heads to Alaska, where the men outnumber the women fifteen to one and wrestle grizzly bears for sport. Or so she can only imagine. Suddenly the most eligible bachelorette in a town full of horny lumberjacks, Val is writing her best columns ever. But if she doesn’t get her nose out of her laptop, she just might miss out on Mr. Right.
 
Logan Burke is the sheriff of the little podunk town that Val finds so charmingly backward. He’s not that different from the guys she’s using for her little experiment; it’s just that one date would never be enough for Logan. As he listens to Val complain about love over beers in the local tavern, he realizes that she can’t see the forest for the trees. Because if she would ever give up her Prada bags and fourteen-dollar martinis, Logan would give her the only luxury that matters: his heart.



So, Sex In The Sticks introduces us to Valentine, Val or Valley if you're a friend. She's rich, she talks about how rich she is, a lot. 

I have to say, as an introduction to a character, for me personally, Valentine's was a bit jarring. She came across as spoilt and living in a different world to those of us not born to millionaire parents.

Logan seemed a bit boring to me, although I think I may be in the beginning stages of a book rut (if you saw my to-read list you'd be just as worried about this as I am). However, I could see the appeal of his steady personality to someone like Valentine who was bored of her current dating pool and metrosexual men.

I've read Sawyer Bennett books from 3 series and one standalone and I think this is the one I've connected to the least. Some writers have a distinctive style so that whatever book you're reading in whatever situation you can tell it's been written by them. Sawyer's writing style seems to be specific to each character and so if you don't start off liking the character it might not appeal to you as much. 

I want to make it clear that a) this is still a good romance book, it just didn't make me personally swoon b) this book isn't fully my cup of tea (it's like when you've made the perfect cup but forget about it until it's lukewarm) but it could be yours so check it out!

I did like the character growth in this book, as I mentioned before Valentine came across as quite snobby whilst trying to pretend she wasn't  (she was) earlier in the book whereas by the end I felt she was more in touch with normal people and how people live in different parts of America.

I did find the ending to be cute and I'm definitely going to keep buying Sawyer Bennett's books (She's actually one of the authors in my Author Spotlight series)! 

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment