Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Children of Vice by J.J. McAvoy REVIEW

Children of Vice (Children of Vice, #1)
Goodreads   Amazon   Twitter    Website

I, Ethan Antonio Giovanni Callahan, first son of the former head of the Irish mob, Liam Alec Callahan, and former head of the Italian mafia, ex-governor, Melody Nicci Giovanni Callahan, solemnly swear to ruthlessly protect our family name, business and way of life, no matter the cost to me or anyone else. I shall show no mercy; I shall offer no forgiveness; there will be no peace for those who stand against me.

I will live for my family.
I will kill for my family.
I will marry for my family.

I, Ivy O'Davoren, the only daughter of Shay O'Davoren, solemnly swear to ruthlessly and mercilessly exact revenge on the Callahans and all those who betrayed my father and family. 

I will live for revenge.
I will kill for revenge.
I will marry for revenge.

***

You devoured the Ruthless People series. Now it’s time to revel in the reign of the Callahan children…

Stand-alone sequel series to Ruthless People series. You do not have to read Ruthless People series beforehand .




It takes a special mind to write mafia books. Your characters can't just be ruthless, they have to be calculating. They have to be so many steps ahead they're not even in the same place as their adversaries anymore. As I've said before, the Ruthless People series borders on OTT a lot but with this spin-off it seems to be slightly more grounded. 

Ethan is the son of the Mad Hatter and Bloody Melody and basically there was no way he was ever going to be anything resembling normal but just like his parents, he has a wonderful public persona. Ethan was raised as the first child of the Italian-Irish alliance and it's nice to see that continued. He was a bit colder than I was expecting but I found myself trusting him and his decisions pretty early on regardless. 

Ivy, Ivy, Ivy. In any series where you have to take the place of someone as insane as Melody Nicci Giovanni Callahan, you might think it would be impossible to even try. Instead Ivy is not only a great character, she's the perfect other half for Ethan as well. I found that I really loved her personality and the manner in which she dealt with things. She wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty and she wasn't afraid to let people know what she was thinking. I loved her.

Evelyn is still alive and kicking as are her sons (yes, I said sons) Neal and Declan, the uncles are more background but Evelyn really has a special bond with Ethan that was lovely to see.

We get introduced to Wyatt and Dona to see where they are at this point in their lives. It's certainly...interesting. I cannot wait for their books to see my final thoughts on them (hint: I only currently like one of them).


I didn't like how Liam was seen through the eyes of the kids, given the events of the final book I was under the impression he wouldn't have been a terrible father and yet, he really disappointed me. 

The cliffhanger though! I can't see anyway out of it that ends well for all the characters (which is why I'm not an author, let alone a crime/mafia author) but I'm still hoping beyond hope everything works out in a way that doesn't break my heart.  

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment