Friday, 10 February 2017

A Thousand Letters by Staci Hart REVIEW

A Thousand Letters

Goodreads   Amazon   Twitter    Website

Sometimes your life is split by a single decision. 

I’ve spent every day of the last seven years regretting mine: he left, and I didn’t follow. A thousand letters went unanswered, my words like petals in the wind, spinning away into nothing, taking me with them. 

But now he’s back.

I barely recognize the man he’s become, but I can still see a glimmer of the boy who asked me to be his forever, the boy I walked away from when I was young and afraid. 

Maybe if he’d come home under better circumstances, he could speak to me without anger in his voice. Maybe if I’d said yes all those years ago, he’d look at me without the weight of rejection in his eyes. Maybe if things were different, we would have had a chance. 

One regretted decision sent him away. One painful journey brought him back to me. I only wish I could keep him.

*A contemporary romance inspired by Jane Austen’s Persuasion*






Despite the blurb I didn't expect this book to be such a heavy read. I started it in hopes of another With A Twist, Wasted Words or Deer in Headlights but what I got was angst at every corner. 
Good angst but angst all the same. Maybe if I'd ever got round to reading any other Jane Austen book than Pride and Prejudice it wouldn't have been such a shock. However, it does allow me to base my judgements of the characters solely at face value

Elliot was an interesting heroine to read. She's surrounded by awful people and just seems to accept that this is her lot in life. Her sisters, her father are honestly just some of the worst people a person could ever be stuck with and it immediately brought an underlying sadness to the book. Despite this, Elliot is kind to them and helps them with their personal lives. I loved that she had a refuge in Sophie as well as in her workplace WASTED WORDS(!) as it helped Elliot not be too heavy a character to deal with.

Wade on the other hand was a bit of a douche. Idk if that's just sticking to the Jane Austen model (after Darcy it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch, although I do feel like Jane Austen was trying to tell us something) or if it's been heightened a bit more for this book but whilst I never hated him, his actions were not agreeable. His relationship with his sisters was mostly a nice touch and I did like how he got it together in the end. By the final chapter I definitely didn't think my douche comments so that was

Wade and Elliot together definitely made for an intriguing couple. Despite their love of each other being clear as day, they encountered so many obstacles before finally being able too get to a good place. Overall, the feeling that this book left me with was one of a story well told from beginning to end.

Mild spoiler alert: there are poems at the beginning of each chapter and I love them all.

Rating: 4 stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment