Monday, 30 January 2017

Infini by Krista and Becca Ritchie REVIEW

Infini (Aerial Ethereal, #2) Amazon     Goodreads    Facebook     Twitter                               Tumblr

Some love is infinite

"Don’t have a best friend that’s a girl" — this was the advice from my older cousin. I didn’t take it. Because he followed with, "friends don’t f*ck friends. And you’ll want to f*ck her."

It was terrible advice. 

My cousin should’ve told me that being best friends with Baylee Wright — since she was twelve — would be the best and worst decision of my life. 

He should have told me to protect her from what was coming. 

He should have told me that when a darkness crawled towards us, there’d be no safety net. 

Now I’ve signed back on to the same Vegas acrobatic show as Baylee, working together for the first time in years. And she tells me that she’s having trouble in a certain “area” of her life — because of our past. 

“You can help me fix it,” she says. 

And then she hands me a list. 

Recommended for readers 18+ for mature content.

Luka Kotova is introduced in Amour Amour, and Infini takes place in the same acrobatic world. However, it's not necessary to read Amour Amour prior to Infini



For the second year in a row, Krista and Becca have managed to release my favourite book of the entire year in the first 6 months. 

I laughed. I cried. I asked God what good thing I did in my life to not only get to read Krista and Becca's books but to get an ARC for a book I already knew I was going to fall in love with.

Also, ignore Krista and Becca's kind note about not needing to read Amour Amour - sure you don't need to plot wise but you're only playing yourself out of reading an awesome book if you don't!

Infini begins with a warning of themes of abuse, bulimia, kleptomania and depression. What I love is that KB are not afraid to have these topics in their books and how easy it is to relate to the characters when they go through these things whether you've personally experienced them or not.

Before I start my review I want to start with a quote that is a recurring theme in this series but honestly warms my heart every. single. time.

Circus is Family


On that note, we begin. 

Infini is a wonderful book. It's a wonderful because you can tell the amount of time and effort that has been used to create a rich and magnificent story/world. One of the most interesting aspects of this series is properly how it takes part in the same world as The Addicted Series but it's able to stand on it's own. The references are nice but the story is so good, it doesn't even need them (don't get me wrong, I'll take them so happily!) 
Nobody writes family like Krista and Becca Ritchie, I'm honestly welling up even typing this as I think about it because the family bonds are just well done. From the sibling bonds in general, to the tight knit group of Luka-Timo-Katya to the no less loving cousin bond with Dimitri, it was hard to read this book and not feel the love within the pages and coming out of the pages. 
What made this even better was the extension of this bond from Kotovas to Baylee. Dimitri, who has never had a day without swearing or mentioning *ahem* interesting body parts, has an amazing bond with Baylee.
This is before we get into Baylee's bond with her brother and Aunt. Just love love love everywhere.

This brings us to the people of the hour: Luka and Baylee.
I feel like we got to see more of Timo and Katya in Amour Amour so all we saw of Luka was his ability to diffuse the situation and his kleptomania. Luka is a bleeding heart. He would do anything for his family and he does do everything for his family as they're all he has. I really admired both his easy going nature and ability to know what he had to do with each family member to either push them or help them.
Baylee was a delight, I remember one of my first KB reviews highlighted that as much as I loved the writing, I wished it wasn't such a WASP-y cast. Baylee is a Jamaican-American character and I loved how relatable her blackness was to me. Especially when she had a beef patty ranking in her head - ME! The disappointment of a low beef to pastry ratio cannot be ignored and I'm glad it was highlighted in this book. On a more serious note, Baylee is a surprisingly well adjusted character considering everything that has happened to her in such a short amount of time. I was glad she knew when to pick and choose her battles but also was such a hard worker that I couldn't help but be proud of her every step of the way.

The siblings, everyones' siblings in this book have stories that I would like to be told. From the Kotova's to the Wrights and back around again to the cousin Kotova Dimitri, I'm ready.

I CANNOT F-ING BELIEVE THEY CREATED A CHARACTER WORSE THAN SCOTT VAN WRIGHT. I know Geoffrey isn't real but he can cash me outside. howbah dah? When I already thought he was the worst, he somehow exceeded expectations and became literal human garbage before my eyes. It's mind blowing how KB can create books with the most loving individuals like Luka and Baylee but then also create characters straight from the pits of the place down below. Brava ladies!

I cannot wait for the rest of the books in this series [no friends, I'm not giving you a choice in this matter ;)]

Side note: Dimitri and Camila are perfect for each other. I see it now and I must see it in the form of a book. Thank you and goodnight xoxo

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment