Friday, 6 March 2015

Mind Games by Teri Terry OUT NOW

Mind Games  Goodreads      Amazon
Luna is a no-hoper with a secret: in a world of illusion, she can see what is real. But can she see the truth before it is too late? 

Luna has always been able to exist in virtual and real worlds at the same time, a secret she is warned to keep. She hides her ability by being a Refuser: excluded by choice from the virtual spheres others inhabit. But when she is singled out for testing, she can’t hide any longer. 
The safest thing to do would be to fail, to go back to a dead-end life, no future. But Luna is starting to hope for something better, and hope is a dangerous thing...
Review ahead!

After reading this book I was genuinely thinking about it afterwards for a couple days. I didn't expect it to get to me like it did but there we were.


So much like Teri Terry's (I love that name!) previous book series, this a dystopian novel - with a nice reference to the Slated series - in this future virtual worlds are the norm with schools being taught in these realities and virtually anything being available online. I've always believed that the idea of virtual realities were great, this book completely ruined that notion. I'm very happy with the way the internet and games work right at this very moment thank you very much.

Luna is a nice character to share a head space with. She's aware of who she is and she's smart when thinking about the danger that lies ahead. At no point am I (or you) as a reader disappointed by anything she chooses to do, even when making a bad choice I feel able to fully support her and I think that's great writing on Terry's part. 

My least favourite thing about this is probably the cover, I don't think it's  very appealing and despite the popular saying, it's very easy to judge a book by its cover. However I will say that I saw it as an actual book cover recently and it doesn't look as "bad" as I thought.

This is a book that deserves to be enjoyed with absolutely no knowledge of what could be about to come, for that reason my review ends here. Have fun!

Recommend to: fans of dystopia, fans of books set in England (they are very rare in YA!)
Rating: 4 stars, could even be 4.5

1 comment:

  1. Food for thought indeed - 'despite the popular saying, it's very easy to judge a book by its cover'. Thank you for your wise and intelligent postings

    ReplyDelete