Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Locks by Sarah J. Pepper - REVIEW

Locks   Goodreads          Twitter         
Rapunzel isn’t the stereotypical Damsel in Distress. Her Bad-Boy Prince Charming is a renowned mercenary, and their Happy Ending plays out like a bad movie. However, she is determined to breakout from her tower prison—love be damned—and do it in a fabulous pair of heels. 
***
Gunned down by the Mercenary, the deadliest assassin in The Badass Archives, isn’t exactly Rapunzel’s end-game. Falling for him isn’t either, but his Rated-R demeanor is strangely charming. Even though most girls wouldn’t fall for their captors, Rapunzel isn’t like most dames. Her major girl-boner for the Mercenary is so pathetic it verges on cliché. Yet, in spite of his appeal, Rapunzel must escape before she’s locked away in the Château de Immortelle’s highest tower—forever.


I did a cover reveal for this book a few weeks ago, isn't the cover gorgeous?

Review ahead!

This book took a while to get into it's stride but when it did it was pretty good. Obviously, this story is a retelling of Rapunzel and I have to admit it was enjoyable.
In this story, the evil witch (Taryn) "collects" people with powers and obviously Rapunzel is one of them. The story takes place in a future (I think) where, for lack of a better word, fairytale characters seem to be aware of the real world and all of the technology of the real world. Rapunzel is being held in a tower by a sorceress that can manipulate time so I actually don't know how old anyone is which is a bit weird for me as a reader but it's an effective tool to knowing how scary Taryn is.

The story begins with Rapunzel being captured from her escape by The Mercenary. From the moment we see the two of them they appear to be in an automatic intense standoff. I thought the story between them was both great and extremely annoying. When they were in sync I loved it, but a reoccurring theme is the Mercenary betraying Rapunzel over and over again and whilst I know it's important for the story, it's still a horrible thing to do to a girl that's been locked up all her life not trusting anyone. 

The story finds Rapunzel being asked to lead a rebellion and being reluctant to lead it. If there's anything I've learnt from all the dystopian books I've read, that makes the best type of leader. I won't say anything else because I think it'd be nice to read it yourself, but I liked the way things turned out.

In terms of the narrative I felt like Rapunzel was both an imitation of a strong woman and a strong woman. The imitation comes from her repeatedly using the phrase "Ho" and hating herself for "acting like a girl" and "not being like other girls" all of which are phrases that make me uncomfortable because they encourage girl-on-girl hate which to me is not something strong women do. On the other hand, Rapunzel knew what she wanted and she went with it wholeheartedly, thus she was also a strong woman.

To end, overall I thought this was an above average book, but I thought perhaps she should have named The Mercenary something else considering Tangled.

Recommend to: fans of fantasy, fans of fairy tales with a twist
Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment