Thursday, 5 June 2014

The Bitches of Brooklyn by Rosemary Harris - REVIEW

The Bitches of Brooklyn      Goodreads                     Amazon
Four friends from Brooklyn await the arrival of a fifth at a Cape Cod bungalow where they spend an all-girls weekend every summer. But this time the fifth woman doesn't show. Instead she sends a note that reads - "I've run off with one of your men."

Fast, funny and filled with Harris' trademark snappy dialog and quirky characters forced to reevaluate their friendships, their marriages and their memories.
By the author of Agatha and Anthony nominated PUSHING UP DAISIES and the Dirty Business mystery series



Review ahead

This book has its good and bad qualities. A good quality is that there are females with a strong friendship that aren't all backstab-by with each other. 

I feel like this book was supposed to have distinct characters but every time a character was mentioned without being there, I had to actively remember who they were and who they were supposed to be married to. Perhaps there were too many named characters, or I momentarily forgot how to keep track of everyone

In terms of the plot, there was a lot of moving from one location to another and I wasn't always sure where the women were meant to be. The "main" plot sort of goes around in circles with the women going from defending their husbands/significant others to be sure that they would never leave or that Abby would never be with them and it's relatively tedious.


This was a quick read, yet I cannot decide whether fleshing it out would have made it a better read or a worse one. There was no main point of view in this book, and whilst I'm not saying that's necessary in books, I think it would have been easier to remember who each of the characters were if they all had distinct voices. It feels more like Harris is telling me that the women have varied and established personalities rather than showing me. I would have loved to have a narrative that was motherly and instinctively know it was character A, followed by a narrative that was more brash that I would instinctively know was character B etc.  

Recommend to: fans of quick reads

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment