Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Addicted To You by Krista and Becca Ritchie - REVIEW

Addicted to You (Addicted, #1)  Goodreads  Amazon   Twitter   Tumblr   Website

She’s addicted to sex. He’s addicted to booze…the only way out is rock bottom.

No one would suspect shy Lily Calloway’s biggest secret. While everyone is dancing at college bars, Lily stays in the bathroom. To get laid. Her compulsion leads her to one-night stands, steamy hookups and events she shamefully regrets. The only person who knows her secret happens to have one of his own.

Loren Hale’s best friend is his bottle of bourbon. Lily comes at a close second. For three years, they’ve pretended to be in a real relationship, hiding their addictions from their families. They’ve mastered the art of concealing flasks and random guys that filter in and out of their apartment.

But as they sink beneath the weight of their addictions, they cling harder to their destructive relationship and wonder if a life together, for real, is better than a lie. Strangers and family begin to infiltrate their guarded lives, and with new challenges, they realize they may not just be addicted to alcohol and sex.

Their real vice may be each other. 


Review ahead! 



It is so so easy to make unsympathetic characters. In this book, Lily is a sex addict and her best friend Lo is an alcoholic. I have to say when this book was first brought to my attention I was like "Addiction, that's a tricky one, I'm going to have to read that." To then find out it was about a female sex addict was so interesting to me because even girls that have slept with no one can be called sluts, how was someone that actually has a compulsion going to deal with it and be dealt with by other people?

I remember reading Junk when I was 14/15 and I was just so angry at how they got into drugs and how easy it was for the situation to completely flip over but still I knew that I had read a life changing book. I felt the same reading this but without the anger. There's no apologizing for the addictions that they both have. There's acceptance that they have it and the fear of others finding out. This book is an amazing start to an amazing series.


The Addicted Series is so important socially and morally. Is it okay to be cover up for someone's addiction to make them feel better? Is it okay to not even try and curb your addiction? I think people have a very black and white view of addiction and this story helps to focus on people with addictions rather than addictions in people. The characters in this series are phenomenal, they're all from the same background (my one and only real criticism of the book) but with such different and distinct personalities that I believe is what really makes the series.

Characters: 
  • Lily - Our first introduction to Lily is right after a one night stand and we see instantly what she thinks of her addiction. In this book, Lily mostly feels ashamed and carries around a high amount of guilt that I think manages to mute/dim most of her other emotions.
  • Lo - The first book only shows us what Lily thinks of Loren and if I'm honest she's the joint first most important person to see him from. In terms of who matters most to Loren and who would have the opportunity to truly see the best and worst in him. Lo is actually just terrible if I'm honest. I love him but his addiction obviously has more physical side effects such being able to completely obliterate his liver, or increasing his possibility of choking on his vomit on a particularly bad night. But, his redeeming quality is that he truly loves Lily so we know he's not a complete mannequin going through the motions of living.
  • Connor - He's first introduced as Lily's tutor then we discover that he knows Lily's sister Rose (yeah, they're all named after flowers, guess how much their mum loves them) He's super smart and if I didn't already it, he'd tell me anyway. Every time I'm not sure if I like him - he's an arrogant asshole but in a good way - I read this book and remember the very essence of Connor. Alternatively I can watch him be an amazing friend to everyone but what's the fun in that?
  • Ryke - Reading this book again makes me realise just how amazing Ryke is. He inserts himself into the lives of people he does not know and sticks to them like an irritating, excessively swear-y limpet. He's very kind hearted but is very abrasive during the course of the book. However, anyone would be lucky to have a friend like Ryke.
  • Rose - The aforementioned sister. Very opinionated and a feminist. Basically two of my favourite things, she's not really present until the end but I will say that she's very supportive. Also, she hates Loren, there's been five books and I still don't know if it's really real or they're just used to hating each other
  • Daisy - If Rose is barely in this book, Daisy is in it for a sentence. I'm including her in this because in the overall series she becomes more important. In this Lily says that she shuts herself off from her family and that mean that with Daisy being the youngest sister, she's been left alone with her mum.
Recommend to: Everyone, understanding addiction is so important
Rating: 5 stars - this book really set the bar for me

No comments:

Post a Comment