Saturday, 29 March 2014

Hothouse Flower by Krista Ritchie and Becca Ritchie

Hothouse Flower (Calloway Sisters, #2; Addicted, #2.2)Ryke Meadows, meet Daisy Calloway ... she’s all grown up. 

Twenty-five-year-old Ryke Meadows knows he’s hard to love. With a billion-dollar inheritance, a track-star resume, and an alpha-male personality—he redefines the term likable asshole. But he’s not living to make friends. Or enemies. He just wants to free climb three of the toughest mountains in Yosemite without drama or interruption.

And then he receives a distressed call from a girl in Paris—a girl that he has never been allowed to have.

Daisy Calloway is eighteen. Finally. With her newfound independence, she can say goodbye to her overbearing mother and continue her modeling career. Next stop, Paris. Fashion Week begins with a bang, and Daisy uncovers the ugly reality of the industry. She wants to prove to her family that she can live on her own, but when everything spirals out of control, she turns to Ryke to keep her secrets. 

As Daisy struggles to make sense of this new world and her freedom, she pushes the limits and fearlessly rides the edge. Ryke knows there’s deep hurt beneath every impulsive action. He must keep up with Daisy, and if he lets her go, her favorite motto—“live as if you’ll die today”—may just come true.

New Adult Romance: recommended for readers 18+ for mature content

***Authors' Note***
Hothouse Flower is a spin-off of the Addicted series. Kiss the Sky is required before reading, and we strongly recommend reading the Addicted series before this spin-off. 

Addicted Series Recommended Reading Order
Addicted to You (Addicted #1)
Ricochet (Addicted #1.5) <--- The main characters meet here.
Addicted for Now (Addicted #2)
Kiss the Sky (Spin-Off)(Calloway Sisters #1)
Hothouse Flower (Spin-Off)(Calloway Sisters #2)
Thrive (Addicted #2.5)
Addicted After All (Addicted #3)

I cannot believe I'll be able to write this coherently but I'll try anyway. I finished the Addicted Novels in early March so whilst I didn't have to wait as long as some other fans, it was definitely long enough. This book surpassed all expectations I had of it and the expectations were high. This is really long but when the material is this rich, what can I do? It's worth it though :D

Spoilers ahead

This is my first real review, so please tell me what you like and don't like so I can make my reviews the best they can be!



First of all, I'm going to start with the plot. Thankfully it's a kindle edition so I can say exactly how far in the characters get together (it's 34%)which is exactly 5% quicker than LILO so that's great. A lot happens in the book, and it never feels too rushed or like KB are trying to get all of their ideas into one pot.
The story starts with us getting the background on Ryke's relationship with his father. He's abusive, just as he was with Loren but weirdly enough, you can still feel that he's genuinely trying to connect with Ryke, he's just too abrasive to know how. Then we cut to the present day where Ryke finally says what has been so obvious to everyone but Lo since Addicted To You, and that is that he loves Lo with every fibre of his being. (I'm not crying, you're crying)I'm glad Lily had noticed this and I'm even more glad that Lo finally knows this.


I was worried that they'd drag out the whole "Ryke is trying really hard not to like Daisy thing" but clearly I forgot that Ryke isn't a liar and he certainly isn't going to lie to himself, so early on, we know that the attraction between him and Daisy is mutual and the only thing really stopping him is Lo. I was so worried when KB said that someone had broken their sobriety cos I thought that if it had been Lo, everyone would be so disappointed in him and make him feel like shit, so I was just proud that they've all actually become a family to the point that something like that is something to work through, as opposed to be pissed at Loren for. The things he has to go through in this book breaks my heart, but it truly makes him stronger and makes me more excited for Addicted After All. Ryke's determination to climb the Yosemite mountains because we know that Lo's passion is comic books; Connor's is being as perfect as possible and Ryke's is rock climbing and it's cool to see how much that means to him. This book confirmed what I guessed during Ricochet, Ryke is a fucking marshamallow. He's such a sweetheart and he thought giving everyone all those horrible looks would trick them. I like that Ryke chose to forgive his mum because even though I, as a reader, can hate her forever, Ryke needs to have as many healthy relationships in his life as possible.

Daisy. Daisy, Daisy Daisy. She breaks my heart. I love her character but her life is so hard. Her mum is abusive, her sisters leave her out, and Lo treats her like a child. I love seeing her get stronger over the course of the book and doing things that interest her. When she dyed her hair after getting it cut I was so happy for her, cos it must be so sad to be trapped in your own body with something you could so easily change but are terrified to. Her anxiety issues are dealt with so well and I'm just so sad that she thinks it's better to not "bother anyone" than say what's happening to her. Thank God she has Ryke. The main catalyst for her anxiety is so disgusting,I wanted to cry for her. It's bad enough to discover that your friends are not your friends, but for them to do something so mentally scarring before the end of your friendship is so cruel. Daisy's accident was so jarring and I'm so sad it took something that permanent to allow her to quit her modelling career but on the other hand I'm glad she got an out as her mother is so demanding.

Ryke and Daisy were wonderful together. They really bring out the best in each other and it was great to see their conversation from their own perspectives both before and after beginning their relationship. I like that it was serious for both of them, obviously I wasn't expecting it to be a fling, but like Lo and Lily, they've been in a situation that allows them to be truly committed to each other before they even begin a sexual relationship.That first kiss though *swoon*. I loved the tattoo that Daisy got at the end of the book, I'm going to assume that the three feathers are her sisters which is cute, but three feathers and a wolf is cuter!

Jonathan Hale continues to fill me with both disgust/rage and pure sympathy. There's no doubt in my mind from Addicted For Now onwards that he truly loves Loren and  Ryke, but in some ways (affection wise) he's a better parent than the Calloways. Before the release of this book I had a conversation with Sue, all the parents of the main characters are abusive ranging from neglect to pure psychological damage and I think that's an interesting dynamic to bring into a New Adult series.
Samantha Calloway is a ****. I know Ryke wouldn't like me saying that but good Lord she needs to sit the fuck down for a second. She has let her daughters down in so many unimaginable ways and instead of ever taking responsibility, she either ignores them or calls the cops on their boyfriends *side eyes*

Lily is such a goofball, it's impossible not to love her and I'm so glad her and Ryke have reached a point in their relationship where they can comfortably be on the phone and Lily can speak back to him, well as much as Lily speaks back to anyone. I loved when she reassured Ryke that his place in the group is important because honestly the Calloways have known Lo for longer and because of the initial distrust in their relationship, Lo could feel closer to them and Ryke would respect this. I guessed her baby news a couple of chapters before, but I genuinely think her and Lo can tackle this tremendously, it's not like they're short on love to give.


Lo having to deal with the molestation rumours was so sad and I'm just glad that it only caused a minor derailment as opposed to a full blown trainwreck. He's going to be a great father and I'm so excited for what comes next for Lily and Lo.
Connor continues to be a polarizing character, I can never tell how to feel about him because he's good at keeping secrets but he's also good at pissing me off by being rude as shit. I'm also very confused as to how Ryke knows they're friends? Cos I don't? It's cool that he understands Ryke and Daisy's relationship and that he was willing to stick up for his sister-in-law, I think he takes his role very seriously. I'm looking forward to anything he and Rose spawn.
Rose is as entertaining as ever. 

Rating: 5/5 *****         when a book not only exceeds your expectations but knocks it so far out of the park you nearly cry, it definitely deserves 5 stars. I'm going to make a post of my top 5 favourite moments soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment